Merewether Junior Participation Proficiency
Skills & Proficiencies
Every Nipper from U8 – U14’s is required to participate in a preliminary water skills evaluation conducted by the Club to be able to participate in Nipper activities on a Sunday. More details about the distances are futher down on this page.
- Proficiency swim – 23rd September 9am – 10am – Arnolds swim centre The Junction – Cost $4 per child – bring a swim cap or nippers skull cap.Every nipper from U8 – U14’s is required to participate in a preliminary water skills evaluation conducted by the club to be able to participate in Nippers Water activities on Sunday mornings. Requirements are in the table below:Under 6 &7 – No requirements
Under 8 – 50 metre swim (any stroke) and 1 min survival float.
Under 9 – 100 metre pool swim and a 2 minute survival float
Under 11 and above– 200 metre pool swim within 5 minutes
BEFORE ATTENDING please make sure you have registered membership(online for renewals or at Registration Day for new members) and paid. Remembered to bring a swim cap/ skull cap.
This year our assessors will be available at Arnolds Swim Centre on the 23rd September at 9am.
IF YOU CANNOT MAKE IT AT THAT TIME other arrangements MUST be made BEFORE the start of the season. Please contact Cathy at juniorsregistrar@merewetherSLSC.com.au to make other arrangements. We cannot guarantee that additional proficiency assessment will be available after the start of the season.
Junior competition skill evaluation will be completed at another time. Please contact Juniorsregistrar@merewetherSLSC.com.au if your child is interested in competing in carnivals.
Carnival Competition Proficiency
- For those nippers wanting to compete in carnivals we will be undertaking the carnival proficiency – details TBC.
- For U/9 & U/10 age groups this will involve a 150m swim in the ocean;
- For U/11, U/12, U/13 & U/14 age groups this will involve a 288m swim in the ocean.
Water Safety Proficiency
We will also be conducting Water Safety Proficiency for all Bronze Medallion parents, which will be a run swim run. Please attend. Details TBA.
Every Nipper from U8 – U14’s is required to participate in a preliminary water skills evaluation conducted by the Club to be able to participate in Nipper activities on a Sunday. The evaluation is in place to ensure the safety and welfare of the child participating. If a child does not meet the required evaluation level a higher level of supervision will be required when involved in water activities and their water activities will be limited accordingly. An assessment of the surf conditions is made for all activities and appropriate safety considerations will also be considered. Merewether Beach can have a dangerous break at times and our proficiency requirements are higher to reflect this.
Therefore: for safety and development reasons, all junior activity participants that want to participate and compete for our Club in either Beach or Water Competition, must successfully complete:
Merewether SLSC Junior Participation Skills Evaluation (Proficiency swim)
This is required to be completed prior to participation in any junior activity each season by all Junior Activities members (including participating in an ocean swim and SurfEd training).
- Under 6 & 7 Nil (no requirement)
- Under 8- 50 metre swim (any stroke), 1 minute survival float
- Under 9- 100 metre pool swim, 2minute survival float
- Under 10- 150 metre pool swim within 6 minutes
- Under 11- 200 metre pool swim within 5 minutes
- Under 12- 200 metre pool swim within 5 minutes
- Under 13- 200 metre pool swim within 5 minutes
- Under 14- 200 metre pool swim within 5 minutes
Junior Competition Skill Evaluation (Timed Pool Swim and Ocean Swim)
For junior activity members who wish to compete in events at recognised carnivals a timed pool swim and an Ocean Swim must be successfully completed before their first carnival. (This is even if the child only wants to compete on the sand.)
- Under 6 & 7 Nil (no competition)
- Under 8 Nil (no water competition, except for wade which take place in waist deep water)
- Under 9 Minimum 150m open water swim
- Under 10 Minimum 288m open water swim
- Under 11 Minimum 288m open water swim
- Under 12 Minimum 288m open water swim
- Under 13 Minimum 288m open water swim
- Under 14 Minimum 288m open water swim