Merewether Junior Participation Proficiency
Skills & Proficiencies
Every Nipper from U8 – U14’s is required to participate in a preliminary water skills evaluation conducted by the Club to be able to participate in Nipper activities on a Sunday. More details about the distances are futher down on this page.
Final Proficiency Swim – Sunday October 22nd
We will run a make up proficiency (weather permitting) during Week 1 of the season at Merewether Ocean Baths. All to meet at the club at 8:45am for a 9:00am start. Upon completion, Nippers can rejoin their age group for the remainder of the activities.
Sunday 15th October 9am – 10.30am – Arnold’s Swim Centre, The Junction.
- For Under 8 age groups and above only. We recommend you attend this session if possible as otherwise it will be held in Merewether Ocean Baths before the beginning of the season and it can be chilly.
- Cost will be $4 per child to be assessed, and this is to be paid to Arnold’s Swim Centre on arrival.
- Swim caps (Nippers skull caps are ok) must be worn in the pool.
- There will be no free swimming allowed.
Before attending, please make sure you have:
- Registered online (or renewed your membership through the Membership Portal)
- Paid for an Associate Parent & your Nipper/s
- Signed a Declaration Form and have it with you with photo ID (to speed up the process please have this printed and signed before arrival) Member Protection Declaration Form – Merewether 2017
- Your Working With Children Check Number (WWCC) (apply for it NOW if you don’t have it yet)
Carnival Competition Proficiency
- For those nippers wanting to compete in carnivals we will be undertaking the carnival proficiency – details TBC.
- For U/9 & U/10 age groups this will involve a 150m swim in the ocean;
- For U/11, U/12, U/13 & U/14 age groups this will involve a 288m swim in the ocean.
Water Safety Proficiency
We will also be conducting Water Safety Proficiency for all Bronze Medallion parents, which will be a run swim run. Please attend. Details TBA.
Every Nipper from U8 – U14’s is required to participate in a preliminary water skills evaluation conducted by the Club to be able to participate in Nipper activities on a Sunday. The evaluation is in place to ensure the safety and welfare of the child participating. If a child does not meet the required evaluation level a higher level of supervision will be required when involved in water activities and their water activities will be limited accordingly. An assessment of the surf conditions is made for all activities and appropriate safety considerations will also be considered. Merewether Beach can have a dangerous break at times and our proficiency requirements are higher to reflect this.
Therefore: for safety and development reasons, all junior activity participants that want to participate and compete for our Club in either Beach or Water Competition, must successfully complete:
Merewether SLSC Junior Participation Skills Evaluation (Proficiency swim)
This is required to be completed prior to participation in any junior activity each season by all Junior Activities members (including participating in an ocean swim and SurfEd training).
- Under 6 & 7 Nil (no requirement)
- Under 8- 50 metre swim (any stroke), 1 minute survival float
- Under 9- 100 metre pool swim, 2minute survival float
- Under 10- 150 metre pool swim within 6 minutes
- Under 11- 200 metre pool swim within 5 minutes
- Under 12- 200 metre pool swim within 5 minutes
- Under 13- 200 metre pool swim within 5 minutes
- Under 14- 200 metre pool swim within 5 minutes
Junior Competition Skill Evaluation (Timed Pool Swim and Ocean Swim)
For junior activity members who wish to compete in events at recognised carnivals a timed pool swim and an Ocean Swim must be successfully completed before their first carnival. (This is even if the child only wants to compete on the sand.)
- Under 6 & 7 Nil (no competition)
- Under 8 Nil (no water competition, except for wade which take place in waist deep water)
- Under 9 Minimum 150m open water swim
- Under 10 Minimum 288m open water swim
- Under 11 Minimum 288m open water swim
- Under 12 Minimum 288m open water swim
- Under 13 Minimum 288m open water swim
- Under 14 Minimum 288m open water swim