Competition / Training
2019/20 season program
2019/2020 Season Courses
Bronze Medallion Course & SRC Course
For details visit: Training Courses
The Hunter Surf Life Saving 2019 – 2020 Surf Sports Calendar provides the most current carnival information, however it is subject to change, so please check on a regular basis. There are some new events this year also, including a mixed beach relay, to allow greater participation of teams.
The main Hunter Branch Junior Carnivals include:
The Newcastle Permanent Series – see above for dates
Hunter Branch Age Championships – Saturday 8th – Sunday 9th February, at Fingal Bay
In addition, the State Championships are within the Hunter region again this season, providing a perfect opportunity to compete at state level without having to travel very far.
SLSNSW Age Championships – Friday 28th February – Sunday 1st March, at Blacksmiths Beach
For all Juniors wishing to compete:
- Complete Competition proficiency as well as pool proficiency –U11-U14 288m Saturday 12 October 2019 9:00amU9-U10 150m Saturday 12 October 2019 9:30am
- Check carnival calendar and identify carnivals you wish to compete in.
- If the carnival is in the Hunter Branch, notify Dan and Bill of interest to compete, via email: [email protected] at least 14 days prior to the Carnival to allow for registration.
- The club will pay for the competitor entry fee, however if the competitor is registered and does not show, the competitor will be required to refund the entry fee to the club.
Branch will allocate competitor numbers to the Club a few days prior to competition. This number will need to be written and visible on the competitor’s upper arm nival, so options may include writing the number on the competitors cap, rashie or arm.
Pink rash singlets from last season are still ok to use for this season
Officials / Water Safety
For every carnival to operate smoothly officials and water safety personnel are required. Depending on how many competitors are from our club, Merewether may be required to supply certain numbers of people to fill some of these roles. If more people can help out, the less time each person is required at each carnival. Please consider these roles if your child is competing regularly:
- Officials – do NOT need Bronze medallion. Positions can include: Marshalling, Recording Judge, Timekeeping Judge and Finish Judge. To become an official you will need to complete a short online course and then undertake some practical experience at carnivals (where you will be assigned alongside an experienced official) for sign-off. If your child is competing in a set area e.g. under 10s, then you can request to official for that area. For more information click here or chat to Emma.
- Water Safety – do need Bronze Medallion.